Caminito del Rey (English : The King’s Little Pathway) is a walkway pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro near Alora, in the province of Malaga, Spain.
The walkway was built to provide workers, at the hydro-electric power plants at Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls, with means to cross between them, to provide for transport of materials and to facilitate inspection and maintenance of the channel. Construction was started in 1901 and was finished in 1905. In 1921, King Alfonso — XIII crossed the walkway for the inauguration of the Dam Conde del Guadalhorce, and it came to be known by its present name.
The walkway is 3.3ft (in width) and rises over 330ft above the river below. Constructed of concrete, resting on steel rails supported by ‘stanchions’ at around 45 degrees into the rock face. It is, currently, in a highly deteriorated state, and…
View original post 371 more words